Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

I am very grateful to be a mom...and a wife! Here is a picture of my first Mother's Day gift I received. I got it on Thursday...Owen brought it home from daycare and he was sooooo excited and proud to give it to me. I love it!
Mother's Day was a very nice day for me. Nothing out of the norm, but just nice. Saturday was the beginning of my Mother's Day weekend. Sean had to work night shift so he was home sleeping. This gave me a free day to go get some errands done and spend time with my mom.  First we left and dropped my car off to get a smog check and certificate...it passed!!!! Then after that, my mom, Owen and I all went to go see her kitchen guy...she's getting her kitched remodeled and needed to get everything finalized. That took a little longer than expected, but that was ok. While driving back to town, Owen fell asleep. I took my mom to Panda Express (the drive thru) for lunch...haha. I had an appointment to do hair at 1:00pm, so I needed to leave. I felt bad that I didn't get to sit and enjoy my yumminess with her, because I had to leave, but that's ok...our day didn't end there.  She watched Owen for me as I left to go do my sister-in-law Julie's little sister's hair for her violin concert. It was fun. I really enjoy doing hair and people apparently like what I do so it all works out. After that I went back to my mom's and we hung out for a little bit at her house. Then she took me to get some ice cream! Yummmy!  After ice cream, we went back to her place and ran into my older brother Josh and his friend Matt. Then Jairo (my mom's husband) came home for work. We left shortly after that. Sean was awake when we got home. And he had an early Mother's Day gift for me sitting on the table! 
Flowers, a very sweet card, Twix and a Sprite. :-) He's so sweet. He had to work that night, so there really wasn't any other time to give me those since he gets home when we're getting ready for church on Sunday.  It was just a nice evening we spent before Sean had to leave for work. After he left, Owen wanted to watch a movie. I was in the middle of getting things ready for dinner when I noticed that he was asleep!! It was 6:15 at this point. So I decided to leave him there and let him get into a deeper sleep...well, he woke up and asked for some milk. I gave him his cup and he sat up and continued watching his movie. Only this time he asked for me to sit with him. Haha, it was really cute. So I did. Well, not too long later, he was out. It was about 7:00pm and my little Owen was asleep. YES! He is such a night owl, so for him to be asleep for before 9:00pm is a wonderful thing in our household. I took full advantage of this moment. I watched one of my TV shows! Haha. Then I put him in his bed and decided to give myself a Mother's Day gift...well, I just decided to do something that I hadn't touched since we moved to our new place.

I cleaned our bedroom!! Haha, I know this doesn't seem like it would matter to most, but if you would have seen our room before I cleaned it, you would completely understand why I am so excited that this is done. (I did not take any before pictures because it was that bad, haha.) We moved in the second weekend of March and our bedroom was full of boxes, laundry baskets and bags of (clean) clothes, and just a bunch of our stuff that we never put away...we literally have not made an attempt to do anything in our room since we moved. Our closet only had some clothes hanging in it, and that was it...the rest of the space was not being used! Since Owen fell asleep at 7:00pm, this gave me plenty of time to get my stuff done and get to bed at a decent hour too.  I was so excited to clean my room. For two reasons, (1) it really needed to be done and (2) to get my other Mother's Day gift from Sean! Haha. You see, Thursday night Sean took me out to get a new comforter for our bed because I have been asking  for one for a while. We went to Ikea that night and I had so much fun just looking at all the pretty stuff and dreaming about what our place could look like. Haha. Then we went to Taco Bell (yummmmy) for dinner, then we went to Big Spoon Yogurt for dessert and then we just spent the evening relaxing at home. That night I told Sean that I really wanted to get our room clean, because I don't think I'd be able to enjoy having a pretty new comforter in such a messy room. So we made a deal. He would let me have my Mother's Day gift on Mother's Day only if I got the room clean. I know what most of you are thinking...it's Mother's Day, why didn't he just do it himself for you? Well, anyone who knows me knows how picky I am about organization. I would have been grateful if it did, however, I would have probably just reorganized the whole room because things weren't put where I think they should be. Hahahaha. I would have much rather just cleaned it myself, that way I know where everything is and it's all done my way (yes, a little selfish I know). I dont' think Sean cares that I don't want him to do the organizing, haha, I think he only cares when it doesn't get done for a very long time. Anyway, back to my gift. So Thursday we made the deal...I was so excited. Now it's Saturday and I am working hard. I was so proud when I was able to see the WHOLE floor! The room is actually a lot bigger than I thought. With everything put away and the laundry in the wash, the only thing left to do is sort the basket of socks and vacuum!! Yay!! What a great gift for me! I slept very great Saturday night. I couldn't wait for Sean to get home on Sunday and see it!

Sunday morning...Owen woke up at 4:30am!!! Don't worry, it was just because he was thirsty and he wanted to know where daddy was. I gave him a drink and told him that daddy was still at work. He was really sad and then I asked if he wanted to lay down in daddy's spot until he got home. He was so excited to do that. As soon as I brought him into my room and his head hit the pillow, he was out. YES! More sleep for me!! Well, Sean came home about 7:00am. Owen and I were awake and lying in bed still. I told Owen that daddy was home and he got so excited. He loves to steal Sean's spot in our bed because this always starts a wrestling match between the two of them. So Owen got really giggly and put the blankets over his head. Sean walked in, and playing along says, "Where's my family? And who's in my spot?" Owen, full of energy and excitement, throws the blankets off his face and yells, "MY SPOT!" Then the wrestling match begins. This is probably one of my favorite things that Sean and Owen do together. It is so cute to watch them. Owen is so happy and Sean is just so wonderful with him. I am grateful for his patience too, I know he's usually tired when this match begins, but he never complains and just goes with it. He really is a wonderful dad and understands the important moments that are worth losing a few minutes of sleep over.

Well after the match and Sean really going to bed, Owen and I went downstairs to watch some TV so I could finish getting ready. My little brother Chris is in town visiting, so he was asleep on the couch. Owen and him watch "How to Train a Dragon" and Owen ate his pop tart and milk. Once we were ready, Owen and I headed off for church.  Which went pretty well. All the women received chocolate...yes! And Owen went to nursery. He had a hard time at first, but he gets over that pretty fast. I went to Sunday School with Julie and then to Relief Society. I had to teach! My lesson was on honesty. I get so nervous teaching adults. I just feel like I have nothing new to say or I don't know anything that they don't already know. Oh well, I think it went well and at least I only do it once a month. After church, I picked up Owen. He had a giant card with his hand prints on it and a magnet with his picture on it for me. It was so cute. Again, he was so excited to give them to me. But he was more excited to go home. Haha.

When we got home, we sat on the couch and ate chocolate together and watched some Mickey Mouse. Haha, it was really nice to just sit and spend time with him. We played and talked and just enjoyed our afternoon. Then Sean woke up. He let me watch my shows and played with Owen for a little bit. Then he got ready for work and then it was time for him to leave. After he left, it was time for dinner. I really wasn't in the mood to cook so I just made mac n cheese and some broccoli. Owen had a good experience with broccoli the last time I made it, but I would have never imagined that he would LOVE it like he does. That's all he ate! He didn't want anything else, just broccoli. Haha. I wasn't complaining, well, actually yes I was. It was really good and he kept taking mine! Haha. At least he's eating his veggies, right?! After dinner I put in Toy Story 2 and Owen fell asleep. I cleaned up the kitchen and went to bed. It was a nice and relaxing day. Nothing out of the norm, but I didn't have any freak outs or tantrums, so that made it all the more pleasant. I am so grateful to be a mother. Owen brings so much joy and gratitude to my life. He is making me a better person everyday. I love him so much and am so happy that I can celebrate being a mom because he came into our lives. (I wish I had more pictures of my day, but I am really bad at remembering to take them.)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like an all around good weekend and Mothers Day! You are such a great mom and its so cute to read things about Owen and Owen and Sean cause Jaxon is so similar and Dan and Jax do lots of the same things. I'm sure our boys would be best friends if they lived closer. We need to fix that haha. I'm so lucky to have you in my life and I know Sean and Owen are thinking the same thing. You are amazing, HAPPY LATE MOTHERS DAY!!!