Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

Well it seems like Star Wars was a very popular choice for costumes this year.  We also chose to do Star Wars. Actually, the main reason we decided to do it was because we already had the costumes from previous years and decided to "recycle" them to save money since I spent too much money on supplies for making Owen's original choice in his costume.  There's a reason why I say "original" costume choice. Here's the story: Owen really wanted to be the original red Power Ranger, which was fine and so cute because he loves watching the show with Sean on Netflix and also loves to pretend to fight and that good stuff.  Well, they don't make the original red ranger costume anymore since that show was out when I was a kid, so I was all in for making it. (I actually love making costumes.)  I bought a little red sweatsuit and had some white fabric to attach and also to make boot covers for, then I went out and found some white gloves.  This all costed me about $20 (maybe a little less) for everything.  Well, all we needed was the Red Ranger mask.  Which is extremely hard to find...especially around this time of the year.  I ended up finding the perfect mask on eBay for $10 and free shipping!  Wahoo!  So I ordered it.  Then I received the dreaded email informing me "due to high order volume you expected delivery date is Nov. 1st to Nov. 8th."  What?!  So I emailed the guy and asked if I could get it any faster.  Well, while waiting for a response from the seller, I decided to keep looking online to see if anyone else had the mask. We found one, not as great as the first one, but it'll do.  We found it on a Halloween website.  It was only $5 but $10 shipping to get it by Halloween.  I sat there for a few minutes looking at my shopping cart trying to decide if I should order it and then just tell the eBay guy never mind on getting the other mask here sooner.  In the end I'd be spending $25 total for these cheap Power Ranger masks, but we'd have two and Owen just LOVES to pretend to be a Power Ranger so I know they'd get some good use out of them.  So yes, I ordered it.  Then saw that they do not let you cancel your orders, "all sales are final."  Oh well, I thought, I'll just email the other guy and tell him never mind on getting it faster.  Well, I logged on to my eBay account and saw THE message.  "Request received. Your item will be shipped out first thing via EMS Express Shipping."  What!?  Ok, so I was trying not to panic at this point.   I will now be receiving two masks before Halloween.  But then I kept reading and saw the shipping charge...ready for this...brace yourself...$35!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!  It was this much because apparently the guy lives in Thailand!  I had the worst feeling in my gut. I just spent $60 on two, extremely cheap plastic masks for a Halloween costume!  Plus the $20 on the other supplies...that's $80!!!  WAY too much money!  After venting and moping about for a few days, I decided that Sean and I would have to recycle some old costumes this year instead of getting/making new ones.   A few years ago he was Darth Vader and I was the Death Star (yes, the giant spaceship planet), so we decided to just wear these again.  Well, my story is not even over yet.  Sean's birthday had recently happened during all this and for his birthday we got him the new Star Wars: The Complete Saga on bluray.  So, for about a week or so that's all that's been being watched at our house (minus football games).  I didn't really think anything of it until...the Friday before Halloween I was talking to Owen about his Power Ranger costume because I needed to fit him for a few things and he informed me of this, "mama, I no wanna be a power ranger." EXCUSE ME?! I thought.  I just played along and asked why and what he'd want to be.  "I want to be..." and he couldn't really pronounce this name the best, but I knew who he was talking about..."Yoda."  OMG!  I asked him why and he said, "Daddy be Darth Vader." Then he continued with, "I like Star Wars."  I kept my cool and said, "Well, you're being a Power Ranger. That's what we got for you." Then the tantrum started. "I no wanna be a power ranger!" He was so upset.  So I decided to just not talk about it and put everything away and start working on the costume again on Saturday.  Well, he still felt the same on Saturday too.  I even tried giving him his mask and letting him play with it. Which he did, but he still kept saying, "I be Yoda for Halloween." So for the church Trunk-or-Treat that night, Owen and I went as the Death Star and Yoda. (We had a Yoda costume from last year that was just his size this year for him to wear.)  I was OK with this for the church party because they don't allow masks so he wouldn't be able to be a Power Ranger anyway.  Well, Sunday Owen's feelings about being a Power Ranger were the same...he wanted to be Yoda.  The idea of wearing the Power Ranger costume put him over the edge.  I told Sean about it and he thought it was funny. I, on the other hand, did not.  I just kept thinking of how much I spent on everything and what a waste it all was.  So, I caved and we went as the Star Wars clan. 



I decided to either sell the masks on eBay and try to get some money back. Or Owen will have no choice and have to be the red ranger next year. Or just finish the costume and try to sell that on eBay! Who knows, maybe I'll start a costume making business because of all this. haha.

Other than that, Halloween was great! We went trick or treating for a little bit because Owen got bored and tired of walking. Then we hung out at Seth and Julies and had carmel apples!  It was a nice night.  I really felt like a Friday though, so waking up for work the next day was not very fun.

Here are a few pictures of Owen decorating his pumpkin we did earlier that week.  I'm so sad that Sean and I didn't get to do our yearly tradition of carving a pumpkin face together.  :(  So I just did one by myself.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of them outside, but oh well.  Oh, and don't mind all the junk behind Owen...we did this in the garage and I am still in the process of going through and organizing/throwing out all that stuff.



No comments: